Looking for fun things to do over the long weekend in the Capital Region? We’ve rounded up our top picks in Clifton Park, Albany, Saratoga and everywhere in between. Check it out:
- Ray O’Conor, author of the popular book, She Called Him Raymond, will share the powerful story of his mother and the B-17 pilot she married during World War II at the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Library. No registration required.
- In the spirit of community awareness, the Clifton Park-Halfmoon Library invites families, adults and children of all ages to stop in and take part in crafting items to share with others at the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day of Service. Choices include tying fleece blankets, making cards and decorating placemats.
All Weekend Long
- The Annual Albany Chefs’ Food & Wine Festival will kick off Thursday and conclude on Saturday. There will be a Grand Tasting, Battle of the Bartenders and more. Get your tickets today!
- With the winter weather finally upon us, why not go ice skating? The ice rink at Empire State Plaza will be open daily with a Try Hockey for Free clinic on Saturday morning.
- The Albany Shindig will be held at the First Congregational Church on Friday evening. There will be refreshments, live music and the opportunity to learn traditional dances!
- Love monster trucks? Then you’ll want to head to the Times Union Center for Monster Jam! Watch twelve-feet-tall trucks rip through a custom-designed track full of obstacles.
- The Linda will host its Second Annual Winter Warm Up to help shake out those cold weather blues. There will be three great regional bands and maybe even a special guest or two to get you up and moving.
- Wind down on Sunday with Clifton Park’s own Northeast String Orchestra at Schenectady County Community College’s School of Music. The concert is free and open to the public!
Monday — Martin Luther King Day
- There will be a Memorial Observance for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. at the Empire State Plaza on Monday morning. There will also be an exhibit, quilt display and more.
- The Children’s Museum of Science and Technology will host a Kitchen Concoctions Day Camp on Monday!
- The Albany Institute of History & Art will offer free admission on Monday! There will also be a drop-in “Making in the Art Studio” and a panel discussion called “The Brothers: The Forgotten Struggle for Civil Rights in Albany.”
- The Saratoga Film Forum will host a Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Observance evening on Saratoga. There will be a screening of American Denial, a short discussion following the film and performances related to the topic. Don’t miss it!
- Don’t miss Hattie’s 15th Annual Mardi Gras Benefit on Saturday night at the Canfield Casino. The evening will honor SPAC’s 50th Anniversary with “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” décor and more!
- The National Museum of Dance will host their Third Annual Purple Tie Affair. There will be delicious food and drinks from Longfellows, live music, dancing and more!
- Spend a memorable Sunday afternoon embracing winter at The DZ Farm! There will be a bonfire, a snowshoe tour of the picturesque trails and a delicious lunch. Register today!
- Head over to The Parting Glass for the 2nd Annual ACTT Naturally Winter Paint Party. There will be a silent auction, door prizes, food and drink specials all to benefit innovative retraining for off-track thoroughbreds.
Monday — Martin Luther King Day
- The Saratoga Springs Public Library will host a Community Observance for Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. There will be performances by the Meta Theatre Company, a keynote talk, and a musical program led by Garland Nelson of Soul Session.
Looking for more things to do? Check out the full list of events in the Capital Region!