- You opened your doors to eager gymnasts earlier this year. How are things going so far?
- What made you pick Clifton Park as the location for Cartwheels?
- Tell us more about what we can do at Cartwheels! Are there just birthday parties and lessons or are there times when we can go to an open gym?
- What made you decide that now was the time to expand Cartwheels?
- Tell us more about the expansion! What new features can we look forward to?
- Are there any special summer programs you will be offering?
- What do you find most rewarding about teaching and coaching?
- When you were an active gymnast, what was your favorite event?
- Aside from gymnastics, what else do you enjoy doing around the area?
- Finish this sentence: Something you would be surprised to learn about Cartwheels is…
Things are great! We’ve grown so fast which we attribute to the Clifton Park community. Everyone from our customers, to fellow business owners have just been so wonderfully welcoming.
We saw a need in this community and were eager to fill it. There hasn’t been gymnastics in this city for years. If anyone wanted to do gymnastics, they had to drive completely out of the city. Clifton Park needed a gymnastics center of its own.
There is so much to do! We offer weekly classes year round as well as birthday parties on Saturdays. On top of that, we do something called ‘Open Gym’ every friday night. It is a great way for kids to come and experience gymnastics on their own terms. From 6:30 to 8:00, kids get to work on whatever they want and go to whatever event they want. Our well trained staff is in the gym of course to help with whatever our students want to work on. Open Gyms are offered to both students and non-students. Save a spot early in the week though! Open Gyms fill up quick!
Our expansion was always part of the plan, it just happened a lot sooner than we expected due to our unexpectedly fast (and awesome!) growth.
We are beyond excited about our expansion!! Our students will get to experience so many new things! Our additional 2000 square feet will contain our new uneven bar area, a full vault runway, and the best part…we are building a foam pit behind our trampoline! Foam pits are great not only because they are fun, but it makes learning gymnastics a lot safer. Our lobby will also be expanded for parents to stay and enjoy watching their child’s class.
Camps and classes! We have a full schedule of summer classes for children age 2 to 18 that is viewable at our website. We are also holding our fist annual Camp Cartwheels. Camp Cartwheels is our week long summer camp program. We are holding these camps every week in the summer from 9am to 12pm. These camps are available for preschool children, school age children, advanced gymnasts and tumblers. Be sure to check our website or give us a call for more details!
Hands down the most rewarding experience of coaching gymnastics at any level is to see how proud the kids are of themselves when they learn something new. It is amazing to see their self confidence grow right before your eyes. To know that you played a role in helping that child feel good about themselves and accomplish their goals is awesome. Gymnastics can teach children so much about goal setting, hard work and determination. They learn all these attributes while having fun. It’s great.
I LOVED beam. I still love beam. Balance beam allowed me to be artistic and express myself. Learning beam meant learning to focus and learning discipline. Beam isn’t for the faint of heart either, you have to be brave and trust yourself a lot when learning skills on beam. I was drawn to all of those things as a gymnast on beam. I enjoy teaching my students everything I learned to love about beam too.
We hired our first full time employee last month and she is awesome! We hired Lori Yowell, who is now our assistant program director. Lori brings many years of experience as a coach and gymnast. She has amazing energy in class! Kids are just drawn to her and she loves to coach. Her classes are fantastic, and we are incredibly happy to have her as part of our team!
- Also Cartwheels Gymnastics Center almost didn’t happen! We planned for quite sometime to move back to Virginia to open a gym, but found the need for a gym in Clifton Park just too great to ignore. We took a chance and stayed in Saratoga County to open a gym here and we are so happy we did!